Disclaimer: This is basically like my journal. I can't stand writing with pen and pencil anymore, I am a keyboard girl! So this is pretty much for me...it will probably be totally boring to anyone else. And don't look at this and go, oh wow, she watched ALL of conference. I didn't. I slept through parts, and went for a walk during other parts, and wrestled with our internet another part of the time. Will have to catch those other parts later!
Conference Notes
Saturday Morning (started watching right at the end)
Elder Oaks talk: A great reminder to keep the sabbath day holy. Loved when he said that sleeping was a better activity than disturbing the worship of others. A reminder to get my lessons done before sacrament meeting!
Elder Uchtdorf: I needed his message of hope this week. It was a reminder to lean on the Hope of Israel. I loved the message at the very end. Heavenly Father is ready to welcome us in His arms when we ask, as He did for me this week. I need to continue to have faith, hope, and charity and never surrender to feelings or temptations of darkness. For me, his talk reminded me to have the confidence to press forward, to continually grow in my strengths and faith in the Lord.
Loved the ending rendition by the choir of "I Need Thee Every Hour." They sung it beautifully, and the theme was of the song was a perfect ending to the session.
I also watched the World Report (cried through the temples part), as well as the documentary on President Monson following that. I was so impressed with it, and loving seeing the interviews with people who President Monson had touched. I especially loved the interview with the man that Pres. Monson had blessed before Christmas at the barracks, as well as the Crystal Methvin story. That one is a classic, but it was touching to listen to it directly from her parents. If there ever was a man qualified to be our prophet today, it is President Monson. I support him, and have a testimony that he is a prophet of God.
Saturday Afternoon Session (wish I hadn't missed the Primary choir...will have to go back and listen!)
Elder (I'm horrible. I should know this. Need to study my general authorities pictures. As soon as I figure it out, I will smack my head and say "Duh" Okay, It's Elder Wirthlin): Sometimes our trials will not disappear overnight. Sometimes we may struggle for years, as his daughter did. Maybe we will even struggle our entire lives. However, the Lord is with us, as long as we have hope and faith in Him. This seems to be a theme of this general conference.
Elder Holland: (side note: where can I get the tie Elder Holland wore? The purple plaid one? I love it!) Heaven is very close. His help is near. Our history is filled with accounts of ministering angels (that scripture I blogged about a month or so ago? It was about ministering angels...) Most often their purpose is to comfort and give merciful attention. Even Christ had need of heavenly comfort. Remember the Lord has said he will fight our battles, our children's battles, as we strive to keep our covenants. This is not a time to fear and tremble, but to be believing and remember our covenants. One of my favorite talks so far. Story about the little boy crossing the river made me cry (what is WRONG with me!!??)
Sometimes our angels are in the form of people we know (like my husband). God never leaves us alone. Love the scripture shared, that Pres. Monson loves as well, "I will go before your face..."
Elder C? (I missed his last name, I think it was foreign): Be as a little child. Christ has never made the gospel so complicated that no one can understand it or live it. The gospel is so simple that even a child can understand it.
Elder Corbridge: Just because Christ set the standard, this doesn't mean that we have to feel inadequate every day because we will never make it to the mark that he has set. Christ makes up the difference, the atonement will make up where we fall short as long we endure to the end. I loved how emphatic he was about not quitting. Elder Corbridge said it simply, "May we have the sense to follow Him." It's as simple as that. I hope I continue to have the sense!
Elder Christofferson: Zion existed for 365 years (Elijah's Zion). Didn't know that! Got distracted during his talk when my internet did something funky and his voice "s t ar t ed to dOOO thISS" in a really deep voice. It was funny.
Are we doing what we can, all that we can, in regards to the poor and needy? Can I learn to be content with what is sufficient for my needs? This talk is one of those that makes me think I might be a bit too materialistic when it comes to certain things. Let us look after one another the best we can.
*Got to see the kiddies sing. sooooooooo cute. internet messing up, but I can still hear it at least. Unfortunately, I don't think Todd and I's children will have any sort of singing ability. That is def not our forte here in the Thomason house. Look at all the white shirts and ties! Okay, crying again (I'm not SOBBING, just tearing up a bit. C'mon, it's cute!).
Elder Bednar: Meaningful prayers throughout the day are linked together, and they fulfill the admonition to pray always. I should pray more. I think most of my prayers end up as desperate pleas during the day to get me through grammar, reading, math, etc. with those ornery fifth-graders. Some of our most meaningful prayers will contain more "thanks," than "please bless me with _______" I can relate to this. Some of my most heartfelt prayers were thanks for getting me through, or helping me see blessings in my life.
*Last song by the kids...so good!
Sunday Morning Session
President Eyring: Unity is part of our gospel that Heavenly Father wants us to have. He encourages us to gather into families, wards, classes. Children of God have more in common than they have differences.
Elder Hales: We can never be contentious when discussing the gospel. We must always approach conversations with a Christ-like attitude and spirit, or we are not representing the gospel accurately. We need our friends who are not part of the gospel. It is always better to stay on the higher ground of mutual respect when dealing with people who are contentious towards the gospel. We are not better than other people, but we should seek to show them a better way.
Bishop McMullin: Faithful elders are there to do what the Lord would do if he were there: heal the sick, and give blessings to those who are deeply troubled.
Sister Dalton: Media messages can cause us to forget our divine identity. We can change the world through our virtuous influence. Quote from New York marathon runner: "The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare." I really liked when she talked about her granddaughter being blessed, and her wish that her grandbaby be encircled by righteous priesthood leaders not only at her birth, but throughout her life. I loved that image of the baby surrounded by those priesthood leaders. Its one of those images that will stick.
Elder Ballard: I really liked his talk on the growth of the Church. I did not know that Joseph Smith had prophesied in 1842 that the Church would grow in the Rocky Mountains. I also didn't know that we had sent out our one millionth missionary. "We are not asking you to die as a martyr, we are asking you to live as Christian. We are not asking you to cross the plains, we are asking you to cross the street to talk to your neighbor."
President Monson: I LOVED his talk about having joy in the journey, and about not letting our tomorrows or yesterdays drown out what is in the NOW. This is a principle I am slowly getting better at. I don't want to be constantly wishing I have that baby NOW, I have that house NOW, I'm done with school NOW, Todd is done with school NOW. This journey here in Kansas is part of our progression, and I want to enjoy those happy moments and learn from the hard ones. I loved that he said that we will never regret kind words spoken. Gratitude is one of the noblest virtues.
Sunday Afternoon Session
I will have to catch up on this session. I was doing that slumbering thing Elder Oaks talked about :)
Elder Gavarret: We have a responsibility to seek after those who are not at Church. I am bad at this. Other people scare me. Is there a phobia for that? However, it was Christ who was our example in this and who instructs us to feed His sheep.
Elder Godoy: Lost our internet connection. boo.
Missed who this was because of the connection: The sweet and the bitter together are necessary. The ideal gift for Pres. Monson would be to find someone who is having a hard time and help them...that would be our gift to our Prophet.
President Monson: Be a good citizen of the communities that we live in. Contributions allow the Church to respond almost immediately to disasters (how cool is that?!) Live as Christ would.
I have to say I tried a bit harder this time to listen to all of conference. This is the first time I have taken notes in a long time. I am proud of myself for doing this much.
No comments:
Post a Comment