One of the worst parts of being a teacher is having a sometimes-very-detailed look at your students' lives. Most of the time, this is no problem.
But occasionally, like today, things are a little different...and you feel defensive and protective and upset and you just want to say "SOMEBODY PROTECT MY BABY" even though that child is not biologically yours.
Our school psychologist came to me today after taking out a student who has a notoriously unhealthy home life. She said they were taking that student out of her home and into juvenile intake, where she can be protected from the things that make her feel unsafe.
And I feel so, so sad that THIS has to be the solution for one of MY BABIES. I'm not unhappy with the solution, just with the fact that it has to come to this for ANY of my students. I'm sure the feelings that some of us have had watching what happens to those small, orphaned Haitians is comparable...except this is so much more real, MORE sad.
1 comment:
Megan, you have a good heart. God bless you.
Post a Comment