Friday, March 20, 2009

Toe Update--Boring to Everyone but Me

So, I guess my doctor considers what I had done to my toe, surgery...although I would have preferred to be knocked out for my 10-minute "surgery" in that case. So anyway, SIX needles later, along with a very distracted reading of an article about Scarlett Johansen while constantly being asked "Tell me if you feel something sharp" (hello SCARY! and yes I DO feel something SHARP!), I came home with a foot that looked like this:



I will spare you a detailed description of what it looks like underneath, although it was not nearly as gross as I was prepared for (maybe it was the codeine kicking in). Needless to say, Todd still described my nailbed as looking like it had been "through the shredder." Yeah, gross.

What did I learn from this entire, 3-year experience?

1. Flip-flops are the devil. They are just not for me. Too bad I own a thousand pairs. They are what created part of this problem, providing little protection from the giant frame that fell on top of my toe, causing intense amounts of pressure, and later, blood (that I tracked across 7th North and up the stairs of Hampton Court). I was also wearing flip flops the second time I cracked my nail, on our car tire when we moved to Columbus. Boo flip-flops.

2. I have some kind of immunity to anesthesia. I should have learned this at the dentist the last time I had cavities filled, because the prescribed ONE needle of local anesthesia turned into THREE. Hence, I should have expected that yesterday, as the prescribed THREE needles turned into SIX. Luckily, I couldn't feel the last three as much, but still? Maybe my fears of pregnancy labor are not so unfounded. We will not be skimping on the anesthesia there, THAT's for sure!

3. Todd has enough experience to be a podiatrist himself. When I first hurt my toe, we were dating at the time. I was fixed up enough to fly out to Arizona to see him (minus a shoe), and since I couldn't bear to look at the toe (or the blood constantly draining from it), he was my caretaker. He even taped a bag around it so I could take showers. So romantic. He did the same for me last night and this morning, cutting off the bandage, and dabbing Neosporin on my ouchie, as well as grabbing my Tylenol+Codeine at 5 am this morning. He is not a blood/pain wimp like I am, thank heavens.

Poor toe. Now we only have to wait 6-9 months for the nail to grow back in to see if the surgery actually worked...

3 comments:

Sam and Steph said...

Ooooooh....blood and guts...I don't mind reading these types of posts, but maybe that comes with being a science person :-) I hope it gets feeling better soon!

Dahlia said...

Sorry about your toe. I've had the same "luck" with flip flops, however, nothing this bad. Sorry :( I once needed a second needle during a dentist trip...she hit a nerve with the first one and actually made me have double-vision for awhile. SCARY - I thought my eyes were ruined for forever! Hope your toe gets better and that you can enjoy South America sans flip flops :)

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo sorry! That does not sound like fun! I know your love for flip flops so this stinks!