Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Update

This has been a fun and interesting week already in the Thomason household. On one exciting note, Todd and I purchased plane tickets and the tour for our summer trip to Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, and Belize. It is an understatement that I am excited!
Align Center

Honestly, we will be putting in some hard work, and spending six of our eight weeks studying Spanish for 20-25 hours a week. We want to be fairly fluent by the time we leave...so we'll see! The last two weeks we will tour the Mayan ruins, reefs, and countryside. I am still getting used to the idea of really roughing it. Todd roughed it for two years in Brazil, and for a few weeks in Ecuador, but I haven't had any experiences like that... so it's time. It's really important to me that I have an awareness of what's its like to live outside of the US, if only for a greater appreciation of our "promised land" here. We are keeping an eye on the problems going on in Mexico, taking every necessary precaution, getting our immunizations (I think my left arm will be USELESS tomorrow!) and generally just trying to prepare.

Another part of my preparation for Guatemala is taking care of my health, which means going to the podiatrist to get my toe fixed once and for all. I know this is probably totally boring for everyone else, but its been quite the ordeal for me. After an accident with it back at BYU, it's been a cycle of growing my nail, losing it, growing it again, losing it, and experiencing some pain in between it all.

So...I'm going in tomorrow to get my toe cut up! I have lost most of my nail again, and I'm sick of it. It looks like I'll lose the rest of it soon, and the doc is removing the corners of my nail underneath the nail bed so we can try to get it to grow it back. So hopefully, three numbing needles later and an afternoon of NO WALKING, the nail will grow back in normally (they usually take about 9 months to fully grow back in). And if it doesn't--I'll have to get the nail removed for good, and I'll just have no toenail. WEIRD! But hopefully we won't get to that.

So yeah! Foreign countries and toes, that's what you get for an update this week :)

P.S. I found out today that a couple of months ago, my Dad SAVED someone's life using CPR. Isn't that so cool!?! He is being recognized at a township meeting next week. The man he saved was a township supervisor who was giving a speech at a town hall meeting when he keeled over and stopped breathing. It's fun to have a hero for a dad (but he's always been one of my heroes)!

No comments: