Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is the day that Todd and I got engaged back at BYU in 2006, and it just so happened to also be the day this yearwe took off from Topeka to explore the historical sites around Missouri. It was so fun to spend a WHOLE day together (shocker!), and the day was beautiful (8o degrees, breezy, sunny). Here are some of the highlights:


We were instructed by a fabulous sister missionary and learned about faith in the face of adversity here:

We reflected on the missionary work begun here, as well as the circumstances that drove the Saints to settle in Far West:


We felt peace here. We were lucky to tag along with a group being led by a knowledgeable local gentleman, who was actually Aaron Freestone's father, for those of you in Topeka who knew them. We learned about the prophecies given concerning this place, and silently set goals to be worthy to stand here if we receive the opportunity.

It was saddening to remember why the Saints ended up here, and why they left. I'm not sure if I could have withstood that test of faith.

We ended our fabulous, spiritual day with a different kind of nourishment: Cheesecake Factory! We couldn't leave the KC area without going to our all-time favorite. We enjoyed juicy fried zucchini, an oldie but goodie bacon, shrimp, and tomato club, and sprung for a new favorite, chipotle chicken pasta. We couldn't leave without getting peanut butter fudge ripple and chocolate coconut cheesecake. Oh, CF, PUHLEASE come to Topeka!



We had a great day, so much so that we didn't have time for the Independence Visitor's Center...another trip for another time!

1 comment:

sachiko said...

Seriously, I love you with bangs. You look like Cleopatra and I am SO jealous you're going to be Cleo in Guatamala! :(