
(By the way, you may want to think twice about typing in "weird" on a google images search. You really will see some crazy weird pictures! This one was tame.)
A few strange things have happened this week. One thing made me laugh afterwards, and the other totally creeped me out (and made me feel guilty).
- The first thing happened on Monday. I was out running errands on my day off, and had just gotten to my car. I saw a ward friend pull in a few spots down and I stood in my car doorway (so the door was slightly ajar) to say hello. There were THREE open spots directly next to me. As I was saying hello, a man trying to pull in the spot directly next to mine honked at me. I was confused by the fact that he needed that exact spot, as there were three open. I mean, if I see a mom trying to get her kids out of the car, or see someone still getting in their car, and there are more spots available, I will just drive to the next one, right? Isn't that what you do, instead of rudely HONKING at someone?
- Thursday night I was pulling into our apartment complex from Girls Night Out, and a car pulled in behind me. It had been coming from the opposite direction, so it hadn't been following me. I pulled into my spot and started walking into my building. As I'm walking in the complex's front door, the person who had come in behind me pulled in a few spots down and called out, "Hi, neighbor!" I found this weird, and didn't recognize the lady (I don't know my neighbor's names, but I know what they look like), but I replied with a polite "Hi" and then booked it up to my apartment, not wanting to talk to anyone weird.
These types of situations always leave us in a dilemma, because while we don't want to turn away someone who REALLY needs gas or food or whatever, we don't want to enable anyone who has an addiction. We usually just cave, and we did in this instance. She went away, and we were left to open every window in our apartment because it seriously REEKED of smoke. I mean, smoke on this level is not something I've smelled in a long time. It was disgusting. Todd said he felt that she was probably addicted to something. But I don't know. I asked about the whispering, and he said he thought she didn't want to scare me. So I felt bad again, but only for a few seconds (haha).
So overall, things that made this creepy:
- She chose ME to follow in.
- She said she had seen us around. One of my talents is being good with faces, names, and details like that, and I don't believe her. So it bothered me she was lying.
- What if she needed drug money? What if drug lord came to our apartment? I had a hard time falling asleep.
- I hate soliciting. I know Todd sold pest control, but I tend to be alone a lot when I'm home. And I hate when people invade my privacy to beg for money. I don't know if I should feel guilty for hating this. I hear this is common in the apartments to the west of us, but I don't want her coming BACK.
2 comments:
i don't think you should feel guilty you did way more than i would have done. i would never have even let anybody in... and i absolutely cannot handle smoke so if you smell, i will not talk to you. i go hide in back and make trevor answer the door too! heck before we had a garage i'd make him come out to the parking lot to walk me inside. maybe i'm just a paranoid freak but there are some creepy people in houston.
at least it was a woman! a man, and i would have been booking it to my apartment and all the locks i could find! it's sad that to be safe these days you have to assume people are lying when they ask for help. like, you can't just let somebody in if they say they need a place to sleep for the night, ya know?
creepy! that happened to us in dc! some guy pulled in behind us. i'm just glad brad was with me. we cave too. i know if they get their money they will go away, if you don't give it to them how do you know they don't have a gun? creepy!
Post a Comment