Saturday, January 19, 2013

Imagine

I have been going through a major Imagine Dragons phase. If you haven't heard of them, go youtube "It's Time." It's good stuff. One of the lines from that song has been speaking to me lately. I won't quote it because it has what a Delaware Mormon girl would call a swear word (versus Idaho Mormons who don't believe that h*** and d*** are swear words, according to Todd). Anyway,the line is pretty eloquent for having a mild swear word, and it spoke to me this week because the  beginning of this week started off a little rocky, which was inevitable because the weekend was so smooth and lovely.

I already had an inkling that Monday was going to be rough, and then I made the mistake of taking two pills with caffeine in them at 5 pm, which meant I was awake until 4 am. I totally believe the old adage "Nothing good happens after midnight." Originally, I think that was made up to encourage teenage children to come home at a decent hour, but I think it heartily applies to myself. After midnight, if I am not asleep, I am cranky, I cry, I write sub plans. See, nothing good.

I don't work on 0 sleep, so I got up at 6:30, went into work until 11:30, and then headed back home to sleep. By Wednesday, things were a little more normal in our household, although I have to say, I am constantly adjusting to whatever "normal" is. A blessing from that is that I sense peace a whole lot easier than I used to. I stop and think, "Oh, this is peaceful" or "I have no demands pressing at this moment...nice." So if recognizing peace is a side effect of this crazy time of our lives, I will take it. Besides, I can only handle so much busy-ness until I have a mental breakdown. I am not one of those people who "wear their busy-ness as a badge of honor" as Elder Uchtdorf put it.

Columbus, 2008. When I was a cool kid who worked at an outdoorsy summer camp. Also the summer I burned my lips on a really hot fork. Todd burned his hand this morning and it reminded of how fantastically much that hurts!
 

My students were super great this week. Seriously, I hit the jackpot. It isn't always puppies and rainbows, but I don't want to die of stress every Sunday night (Sunday nights still go by too quickly!)
 
 
Todd and I went to our ward's Pinewood derby this morning, and again I puzzled over why girls never did this. We didn't activity days when I was a kid, and man, there are some things I wish we would have gotten to do (although with my personality, I wouldn't have WANTED to do it when I was 8....oh, kids). And I will not insert a depressing comment here about again watching everyone ELSE'S kids run around.
 
 

On a happier note, Todd and I will probably be in Florida in a month. I have happy memories of traveling there with my family, and also for a high school band trip. It will be so fun to go there with Todd and get away from all of the craziness for a few days. We are looking forward to a break. We love Kansas, but the inner traveler in me is itching to be somewhere with different geography for a little while!



Also, I am missing the people above, and so I think a trip back to my east coast "home" is in order for spring break!

1 comment:

sachiko said...

i just love you. and listen. i grew up on a farm so "h***" and "d***" aren't curses to me. i have some friends that grew up in rural utah and they'll tell ya the same thing. i heart imagine dragons. you know they're from the mother bubble, right? (provo) not having obligations is a fun thing... for a while... then i have to continually remind myself to yield my heart to God yet again, because i try to take control and make things go MY way! haa, haa. and can i tell you, i love that you said, "puppies and rainbows" i use "rainbows and sunshine and unicorns." :)