We went and took a tour of the Church of Christ while in Independence. All I have to say is, I was weirded out. I mean, people probably see Mormons as weird (okay, of course, most people who know nothing about us DO think we are weird), but I couldn't believe how far apart the Church of Christ had moved from the LDS church since the 1840's. Women can hold the priesthood (after they--and eligible men--take a "training course"), delegates "vote" on new laws (right now they are voting on whether new members should be baptized if they have already been baptized in another church...really?), and they don't believe in eternal families. This adorable older man took us around, and when Todd asked him about forever families, he said that they didn't believe they would be sealed to their families, but it was okay because they would be too busy doing God's work. I mean, it was a nice thought, but I just remember feeling so sad for him...and he looked sad too! It was depressing.
On a much lighter note, we then traveled to Oklahoma Joe's and nearly missed it because it is INSIDE a gas station. Yep, I guess that is "real" KC barbecue for ya! It was SOOOO GOOOOOD! It was melt in your mouth good! I want to go back. My parents are coming next month to visit and I think we will have to take them!

We loved KC and spent a whole day there, and we still didn't get to everything I want to see. Good thing we still have another two years!



No comments:
Post a Comment