You rock.
Todd read over my post last night, and he said, "Wow you were mad." Which is really funny because when I wrote I knew I SHOULDN'T read it when I was feelin' hot about the situation (I think a cool down period is always a good idea, verbally and blog-ally), so I tried to write to not offend anyone, but at the same time, get my point across.
And you all got it, and you were SO NICE about it, and you gave me lots of food for thought.
The one theme I did see in the comments was that talking about kids gives common ground and its an easy way to find common ground. I totally agree! I am terrible at conversations and I completely get that. I usually end up talking about work because I feel comfortable about that. And many topics are considered more SAFE than others until you get to know someone better, and you learn how they will react to the silly/goofy/serious/sarcastic things that you say.
Plus you understood that I was in NO WAY trying to bash motherhood. It's totally something I want someday, and I will probably put people in that same position (by accident, I hope) in the future. But I was having this conversation with a friend at church last week, and I told her I admired her because even with two kids, I still knew WHO she was because she was still involved in other things in her life besides her children. I just know that I want Todd and I to have the kind of partnership where we can say, "Hey honey, I have volleyball tonight, can you watch the kids?" and that we can make having some time for our hobbies a priority. And at the same time, I REALLY want those moments where I am so wrapped up in those children that I wouldn't wish to do be doing anything else but hanging out with them. But too much of either thing is not--what word did y'all use?--BALANCED.
Balance. I want that :)
So again, thanks. You reminded me of what wonderful, well-rounded friends I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment