Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just one of those days...


(what I need after today...a whole face full of CHOCOLATE)

Today was one of those days at school were I was the hockey puck and both the kids and the curriculum were the hockey players wielding their sticks.

My first one went to recovery. Luckily I didn't have to write the referral, because when I sent her to another room for talking while I was teaching, she decided to make farting noises at the other students.

Mature.

I had another one who MIGHT be MY first recovery referral for writing with dry erase marker on his textbook. Anything remotely shiny is hard to resist for those kids: "painting" their fingernails has been noted as well.

I started the kids on a lesson where they NEEDED calculators. Minus the calculators. The math instructional coach was like, "These kids can't do this. Don't they need calculators?" And I was like, "No, they don't." And then she pointed to the book which SAID, "Use calculators."

Smart.

Let's not forget the conversation about another sobber I have (who sobbed twice today. she has a good reason though) with the school psychologist, the bathroom break I desperately needed by 3:30, and the time I yelled at the kids in front of the special ed teacher. Oh, AND my first parent phone call (scary! but it was fine) and the parents that kept getting their kids early (AHHH! annoying!) AND the kids that have been absent forever (watch out, there is SOMETHING going around!) AND my microphone that is not working and my stuffy nose and head which make me even grumpier!

The good things:

  • I played knockout with some of my boys and now they think I'm the coolest because I can knock them out.
  • The little girl who told me I was her "favorite teacher ever." This girl BARELY spoke to me last year. It's been nice to see her open up.
  • The kids who LOVE to participate...even though "OO.OO.OO!" while they are raising their hand is totally annoying.
  • The little boy who had to tell me this morning about how he and his mom got lost at the Governer's Mansion last night and ended up by the movie theater. I also like hearing that parents do stuff like that with their kids. Not many of our parents do (gosh, I am SO pessimistic today!)
Here's to Wednesday and hoping that IT IS BETTER!

4 comments:

Dahlia said...

You need a raise! I love reading these posts - I hope Wednesday is a bit more uneventful for you :) Here's to chocolate!!!

Stacey said...

Your posts crack me up! Glad your daily adventures provide the rest of us entertainment!! Love the picture with the chocolate!

Karolyn said...

I am SOOO glad you are recording these things! You need to make them into a book! HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

Hi Megs...what are you going to do with your President Obama curricula next week?

Dad