Friday, May 28, 2010

The Calm Before the Crash



















Todd and I recently bought some old bikes from a garage sale and fixed them up enough to ride them around Topeka. We've taken them out a couple of times--to the Shunga trail and around our block. On Wednesday, we decided to take them out to Lake Shawnee and bike around the lake...as it turns out, it's a pretty long way. I was pretty tired, but we stopped at various points, and we enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL weather. See above pictures.


BUT THEN!




Do you remember falling off your bike when you were a kid? I remember.


Do you remember how much it hurt? I don't, BUT




I am of the mind that getting thrown off your bike as an adult is MUCH MORE TRAUMATIC!


I was minding my own business, maybe going a little too fast for my liking around a curve (and I'm a wimp, so when I say fast, I was probably going your average coasting speed). My bike decided it was going to go off onto the grass, and I thought, "Okay, bike, you can go onto the grass as long as I don't fall over." Transition to grass: No problem. Then my bike thought, "Well, I'm okay on the grass, let's get back on the sidewalk."




Well, the sidewalk did not like this plan. As soon as tire met asphalt, it was my turn to meet the asphalt as well. My bike hit the rut between grass and sidewalk and I went flying, right in front of two men mowing the park's lawn, and behind Todd.




All I remember seeing is the ground right before I hit...my hands out in front of me, my chin grazing the sidewalk. I closed my eyes after that...I was sure that blood was POURING from my battered skin. The two guys got to me first, asking me if I was okay. I said, "Yeah, is there blood?" They were nice, and lied, and told me not that much, to which I replied, "Okay, well, I can't look at it, I can't look at BLOOD!"




Todd had reached me, and he helped the other two drag me off the sidewalk, and insisted I sit down. I asked for his professional opinion, and he said I didn't look that bad. I sat on the grass to catch my breath, and then Todd told me to saddle up...wait, WHAT?? WHERE'S MY SYMPATHY? (side note: don't marry an Idahoan if you want sympathy for pain). I told him that I was content walking the bike for a while, so we continued on down the path.




And then the burning STARTED...it was AWFUL. I think at one point I told him I wished I had broken something because dying of road rash sounds a lot less cooler. We somehow managed to get to the car, after which Todd had to talk me through breathing exercises because I was really really really shaken up. He brought me home, and we commenced the cleaning and bandaging process, during which I screamed, cried, called Todd mean, and yelled some more. I'm sure our neighbors thought we were crazy (or I was dying). After a healthy dose of Tylenol, I plopped on the couch for some distraction. Two days later, I'm still burning a bit, pretty stiff, and my muscles are cramping from trying to stop myself from hitting the ground so hard...sleeping is pretty tricky!


Moral of the story: Falling off a bike as an adult stinks. Don't do it.


Secondary moral: Road rash hurts like the dickens. Especially on your elbows.


Tertiary moral: Marry someone who will love you even when you are bleeding and crying and yelling at them to stop poking you.




Final damage:


Right hand and ankle: cut and scratched.


Right knee: bruised


Right arm: Haven't inspected this wound for damage because I might pass out, but Todd tells me there are scratches and some pretty severe road rash.


Left knee: I have a giant knot underneath scratches, road rash, and bruising. (Pardon my gross leg).


Left arm: Road rash and scratches


Chin: Road rash


And yes, I will get back on the saddle. When I can bend my arms again!





2 comments:

Dahlia said...

Those are some serious bandages! I remember falling off the back of a dirt bike and I had the tire print in scab form from my neck to my naval. I totally feel your pain!

Whitney said...

Oh man, that sounds so painful. I hope you are ok! I don't know if I would ever go biking again :) I am too big of a wuss to get back on the saddle.