A smart guy on TV says the average tax refund is 2800 dollars.
WHAT????
That's the AVERAGE!! That means a lot of people got MORE than that! (okay, and I know that a bunch of people got less, but I'm ignoring that for the sake of my indignance).
Can I ask a dumb question? Is your tax refund directly related to your income? Because that would definitely explain our less-than-average refund.
And did we qualify for a single additional tax credit?
Education credit? Nope
First-time home buyer? Nope
Fancy schmancy windows? Nope
Having 3 arms? Nope (wait, that's not a tax credit?)
Oh wait, I think I DID get a credit for spending $250+ for work. PUH-LEASE. I spent more than that on my job, and now even job security is not guaranteed.
So where can a married couple, with one husband in graduate school, and a wifey teaching school, get a break from the government like the AVERAGE citizen?
Apparently, nowhere.
As for the break, I don't even NEED it in the form of a bigger tax refund. I just want to be left alone. Stop raising our sales taxes (stop spending money, government!) Stop trying to change health insurance because my premium has already gone up in the last two weeks (stop spending money, government!) Stop taking a huge chunk of my change for Social Security that I'm not sure will even exist when I need it in 50 years!
Rant over. I feel better now :)
2 comments:
Any refund would look better than ours...after factoring in what we OWED in taxes with what we got back in a refund...we made 4 friggin dollars. That's right. $4! Apparently there are no breaks for wife teachers and hubby students. And next year will be even worse because california is practically bankrupt and we have to pay TONS more taxes compared to what we had to do in utah. Thankfully this past year we were only here for 6 months, so we only had to pay half of them. The whole tax system seems ridiculously more complicated than it should be.
well, i'm pretty sure your tax refund is simply a matter of whether or not you overpaid taxes as they were taken out of your paycheck during the year. so how much you get back or owe is dependent on how far off the withholdings you stated on your W-4 were from the actual withholdings you ended up being entitled to. you'll have the same percentage taken out either way, it's just a matter of when you have to give it up. so you could always change your withholdings for next year! i always tell trevor to make sure he keeps ours low because i'd rather be without the money during the year and then get lots of it back in april. he would rather have our withholdings be accurate so that we come out balanced even. technically, that way is probably better because you can be earning interest on that money all year long.
Post a Comment