Friday, April 23, 2010

Really Hard Teaching Lessons

One of them is learning that you can't fix everyone's child.

That some 8 year olds have no interest in the caring that you provide.

That no matter what you do, or how you say it, some kids won't respond.



I know this may be somewhat of an over-generalization, but this is a HARD lesson to learn. Some of my students are becoming, well, unreachable. Mentally hard. Angry at the world, and at me, because I just happen to be there (and because I can't put up with their antagonism).

It is SO SAD. And at the same time, they are disrupting my group and making me angry. So I'm torn between emotions of anger, frustration, LOVE and indifference. 

And I have to get over it. Because, 
really, 
I'm learning that sometimes, 
I CAN'T FIX IT.

3 comments:

Dahlia said...

That is tough. Especially since they're tender 8 year olds. Just keep being a good example - they see it, even if they don't want to acknowledge it or realize it. You're awesome Megan!

Kristin said...

It's super sad, even more sad that it's true. Keep going.

A. Pearce said...

You know, that's a hard lesson and I'm sorry ... but I think they'll remember you and the fact that you tried and the fact that you showed them you care and you show them what normal is. AND because of all those things you do, they'll remember you.