Sunday, April 4, 2010

Listen to a Prophet's voice

First off, I have a testimony of a Prophet on the Earth today. He gives us words of wisdom, admonition, and comfort. When I listen to him speak, the Spirit tells me that President Monson is Heavenly Father's mouthpiece on earth.

While I listen to him talk, I think about the way he words things, and I know that the Spirit helps to inspire  him, and other leaders of our church, to know what to speak about. When I contrast the way an apostle speaks with the language I read in many books, I understand what heavenly language sounds like.

Listening to Conference I know that our Heavenly Father wants us to speak without strong language. I know we should speak with calmness of manner, only speaking harshly (an Elder Holland harsh) when the message is life-saving or Spirit-saving. We SHOULD have a sense of humor, but without using it at someone else's expense. We speak with kindness, with knowledge, using the Spirit to guide us when the subject is difficult.

I find it frustrating that many of the books I read resort to language that is offensive (and sometimes I won't finish a book because of it). When I listen to the Prophet, or an apostle, or a YW general president speak, I hear manners of language that I WISH were still present in regular conversation, in books, in TV. Can this make a comeback? I hope!

No comments: