Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mother's Day Tribute One


In observance of Mother's Day this coming weekend, I thought I would take a few posts to talk about memories I have of special women in my life.

The first I'll talk briefly about today is my Granny Ross, my dad's mother.

Growing up, Granny was always the center--the glue--of our family. I grew up close to my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and great aunts/uncles, mostly because our family gatherings took place at Granny's house. Some of her famous dishes are Barbecued Chipped Ham, London Broil, Blonde Brownies, and Special K treats. We ALWAYS knew where the candy was stashed.

My grandma cultivated these AWESOME azalea bushes in her yard in Salisbury. When I was in Ireland, I stood below the tallest azaleas I'd ever seen, and they immediately reminded me of her.

My granny faithfully writes me letters. I keep most of them...she is almost 89 years old, and I know words from her might be scarce someday. I loved that she wrote me letters even in college. A lot of times it was something as simple as, "I'm going to Pittsburgh to visit my sister."

My sister, cousin Christine, and I would raid her drawers and closets and make up dances wearing her slips and heels. Yes, there is photographic evidence. We were always making up plays, and she encouraged us. She just laughed when we came out wearing her scarves and too-big shoes.

My Granny came out to my graduation in Utah. I was so honored...and I hoped she would love Utah as much as I did. She immediately went out looking for wildlife with my aunt...she always loved gardening and watching birds...traits she passed onto my father and myself.

One of the hardest parts of my wedding was knowing she couldn't be there to see the ceremony. I knew what I was doing was right, but it was still hard not to see her sitting there with me. Not once did she ever complain in front of me. I know she was disappointed, but my granny is that type of person. She always puts others in front of herself.

When we went to the BYU Ballroom Dance show, a row of Red Hat Ladies sat behind us. I LOVE Red Hat Ladies because of my Granny. She faithfully attends her Red Hat meetings in Ocean City. When my grandfather died, she didn't stop living life and cultivating relationships. She continues to find ways to befriend others and stay busy. I can't believe how active and healthy she is at 89!

25 years of memories of my grandma sure feels good. Love you, Granny :)


1 comment:

Karolyn said...

That is so sweet! How fun that you have so many fun memories with your granny!