I have a testimony of the Word of Wisdom.
No, really, I do. Not one of those, "it's true because the Church is true." I mean, that's GOOD, because that's the kind I used to have. And there's nothing wrong with that kind. But for me, it's morphed into one of those, "No, I KNOW it's true, because my not only does the Spirit tell me it's true, but my body does as well."
Backtrack. I became lactose intolerant my sophomore year of college. I ignored it, because what college student wants to give up ice cream and pizza? Not I. In fact, there are times when I still ignore it. And besides, don't a million people have LI? So, not a big deal.
However, I started getting quite sick last year in Boise. I was getting heartburn EVERY day, heartburn so bad I would feel nauseous. I would go home from my internship and collapse on the Love Sac, wondering why a little thing like heartburn wiped me out so completely. I was exhausted. And I'd get it everyday. I was also struggling with other foods, worse than I had before.
I know, sob story. People have cancer, and I'm complaining about heartburn. But I have always been fairly healthy, and the heartburn and other side effects were interfering with my happiness.
So I took a trip to the doctor, a gastro doctor in Boise (we Rosses don't mess around with family practitioners, it's straight to the specialist for us!). Upon hearing my symptoms (I was worried about a stomach ulcer), the first three questions the doctor asked me were:
1. Do you drink coffee?
2. Do you drink alchohol?
3. Do you smoke?
Well, I consider myself an active member of the Church, so I could reply "No" to the above questions. He looked puzzled, and said, "Well, you don't seem to have any vices." I later learned that chocolate was farther down that list (ah, there's the vice!) Once we had ruled out symptoms of an ulcer (food sticking, sudden weight loss, yeah, that definitely hadn't happened), we discussed "foods to avoid."
Everything on this list is obvious. At least, it SHOULD have been. It's on that food groups chart. It's also in the Word of Wisdom. Eat grains. Eat rice. Eat vegetables. Eat fruits. Stick to a couple small servings of meat a day.
Foods to avoid. Sugar sparingly. Things with high acid content, for my hearburn, like tomatoes (I ignore this one. I like spaghetti too much). Avoid grease and fat.
And finally, my doctor told me to exercise. So I did. I went twice a week to the Boise State gym (LOVED that place, MISS you gym, MUAH! No really, it was a sweet place. WAY better than BYU's!) I dropped most of the sugar I'd been eating. I lost 7 pounds in two weeks. Heck yes!
I'm not trying to say that I eat perfectly now. I definitely don't. But I make a more conscious effort to watch the chocolate consumption, and eat more fruits and veggies. And exercise (not doing so good here, thanks freezing cold Topeka). So when Halloween hit, my body took a hit too. I am downing the chocolate. I am stressed from school. I feel sluggish. I feel tired. Why? I've dropped some of my good habits.
For me, the Word of Wisdom isn't just a good idea. It's Heavenly Father's eating plan. He has told us how to take care of our bodies. That "run, and not be weary" part? Yeah, when I eat right, I can "run" much faster and farther than I can when I'm on post-Halloween junk. The Word of Wisdom also isn't just, "Don't drink coffee, tea, alchohol, or take drugs." It's that, PLUS the eating healthy part.
I believe it works. I believe its part of treating our bodies as a temple. I KNOW it is a gift from Heavenly Father. Now I just need to do better at following the Word of Wisdom completely.
2 comments:
amen, sister! or, wife of my husband's friend! friend, i guess :) i need to do better at that healthy part of the word of wisdom. i'm interested in how this "run and not be weary" part feels, cause i'm pretty sure i've never felt it!!
Seriously that is the BEST gym! I loved it when we lived over on Hale St. I went like every night. Wish we had lived by you two then :( we could have gone together!
Post a Comment