Yesterday's Sunday school lesson revolved around Ruth and Naomi (YES, I get to go to Sunday School! Finally! We'll see how long that lasts since I'm sure we'll be getting callings in our new ward in Derby).
I'm sure the intention of the lesson was different then the way it went in my head, but lest they continue to swirl, here's some of the thoughts I had about this story.
I'm glad we're studying the Old Testament, because honestly, I don't think I've gotten past Judges when I've tried to read it straight through. I've picked up a few random stories, especially at the beginning, like I've got the creation down and Noah, and very little after that point. I've wanted to be more literate in my Bible, but I also want to know about the culture too, because I think that helps my understanding. Anyway, there's a point to this rambling. We were talking about how Ruth left her people to stay with Naomi when she had no one. For me, that really resonated with me.
We recently watching a Turning Point episode on the BYU channel about the Akshaya Trust (HERE is the link to the show, it's worth your 30 minutes!) There is a town in India where there was an epidemic of families just returning their elders to the streets because they couldn't afford to feed them. Obviously, this is horrifying, and so the episode revolves around a man who spends all day every day delivering meals to these elders who live on the streets.
I love Turning Point, but this episode really went straight to my heart. I can't imagine leaving my Granny or parents on the streets to fend for themselves, ESPECIALLY if they are dealing with disease, mental deficiency, physical disabilities, etc. Todd and I talked about how when you start to abandon your elders on the streets, that's another symptom of the degeneration of the family. We have talked often about how we want to make sure we place ourselves in a position where we can take care of family members if need be. Anyway, my heart is filled with admiration for this man and his organization in India that is feeding this elders.
I thought a lot about Ruth compared to this gentleman in India, eager to make sacrifices and steadfast in her loyalty. She had to give up her people to follow Naomi to a life possibly filled with hardship. Things worked out for her in the end, but her unwillingness to abandon Naomi is an example I want to follow.
I have extended family members who are sacrificing so they can take care of grandparents and parents. Some of their major life decisions have been altered so that they can be there for family. I want to be just like them, willing to sacrifice my own wishes and desires to provide support and love for the family God has given me on Earth!


No comments:
Post a Comment