Yes, this was our EIGHTH move in EIGHT years of marriage. I feel like we should get an award just for that.
As far as moves go, it went fairly smooth. Besides a little hiccup with the truck (and a trip a little out of the way to get it), we packed up everything and unpacked it all in the same day. A hot, sweaty, exhausting day, but it got done nonetheless. We had a lot of people upon seeing our truck ask if we were going to be able to fit everything---well, we didn't know, but we were praying, and with some major Tetris-style packing, it got done. Todd and a good friend did an awesome job WORKIN' IT!
We were super grateful for our church's missionaries. We had FOUR elders come from our own ward, and then the two for our new ward showed up once we got to Wichita. We are so, so grateful for them as well as the many other people who came out to help.
We are settling in now. For me, it is weird to be home and have nothing to do but unpack boxes all day. I'll take that back, it's not weird, it's booooooring. But things are almost all unpacked, so I'll be grateful!
We had some good friends, the Jacobs, invite us over for dinner the night after we moved in. It was the best timing, I really have to remember that for people that have just moved in! It is so hard to have food in the house when you've just moved in, especially on a Saturday!
We checked out our new ward, and it is smaller than what we're used to. But people seem friendly. Funny story, I was asked to teach the CTR 5 class, and during the second hour of the same day, the librarian came to get me to ask if I could teach that day! So, I jumped right in! There were 8 little cuties that day, I am so excited. I always wanted to try my hand at a kindergarten-ish age, but I don't think I want to practice for a year on 25 of them. So this little Primary class is perfect. Some gems from last Sunday:
Me: We want to be kind to our friends and our church.
Little girl: Yes, and we shouldn't be bad like touching your tablet or taking it and playing games on it!
Me: How else can we be a peacemaker?
Little boy: Can I tell you something? We just got a new dog!
So, as you can see, we got pretty far on Day 1 :) But thanks to my teacher instinct, I was already ready with class rules, a system where they can earn pom-poms to earn a treat, and we discussed the bathroom (whereupon ALL of them had to go, never fails, even third graders all immediately have to go the minute you talk about bathroom rules). I am already looking forward to next Sunday.
So, here we are, ready and waiting to see what adventures Wichita holds for us!
1 comment:
Haha, I had to teach that same lesson to the sunbeam class last Sunday...I am NOT cut out for teaching little kids!
Post a Comment