Sunday, April 19, 2009

Let Me Just Put It Out There

I want a quilt. Made by me. Fabrics chosen by me.

The problem? I don't know HOW to quilt. Or even SEW for that matter. My mother attempted to teach me in high school and I failed miserably. When I took a costuming class at BYU, we made simple aprons, and I was always the last one done with each step. It's just not IN me.

But I don't want to pay 100's of dollars for a custom quilt, even though it totally makes sense that they are so expensive because they seem like SUCH hard work!

But I WANT ONE!

Any solution to this problem of mine? Or will I be quilt-less forever lest I decide to buck up and get some sewing lessons? Do people give quilting lessons?

Or maybe I should just wait a few days when this intense desire dissipates into a simple, "I wish I could do that." Or maybe I need to decide, Elder Hales-style, that its simply something I don't NEED.

But I WANT one!

9 comments:

kaylene said...

I would make one for you (I'm not an expert but I have made decent enough quilts before) if I had a sewing machine! Tell Trevor to buy me one! :)

But since I don't have one, try Etsy. i like uptownjane, i read her blog and she has some good tutorials. I don't know whether or not she is willing to make custom quilts but I highly doubt she would mind being asked! but yeah there's got to be lots of etsy people these days having sales to try and get customers.

Outnumbered said...

I have this same desire, but lack motivation. You should talk to Carol Hite. She is a superstar in the quilt making world. :)

TanyaKaye said...

I know of others that have this same desire. I know how to make the quilt squares, I know how to sew them together and put the batting on, then the back. There are two was to then get the blanket "quilted", 1. The old fashioned way - by hand, sitting around a quilt frame, chatting and sharing recepies... or 2. Machine stitch it (usually you take it to someone who has a very fancy machine and pay them to stitch it).

We have several sisters in the ward, and quilt frames and I think we should learn to do it..by a show of hands, who would attend a quilting class/group?

A. Pearce said...

I'm in. Can we say: ENRICHMENT? Let's make a quilt for you!

sachiko said...

This is what you do: Go to your RS Pres. and ask her for a list of people that can sew. Pick an elderly woman from the list and make a friend. Seriously, it's how I learned to knit. She was an older woman with nothing but time on her hands so she didn't get frustrated when I took all day long and she knew three different ways to do the same thing incase I couldn't do it the "traditional" way. She totally enjoyed the company and I got to learn from a pro.

Sam and Steph said...

Bribe my mom...this past year she has turned into a professional quilting machine, it's been a little scary. I think she might be somewhat obsessed, and once Rachael graduates she'll have more time on her hands too, I bet she would make you one if you send her all the fabric or something...I can ask, or is this something you really want to make yourself?

Lindzie said...

The quilt I made was a pretty simple pattern if you want it??? Do you have a sewing machine?? I could make you one like I made on my blog if you wanted to pick out all the fabric? Tell me what you think.

Dahlia said...

I know a really simple way to make a quilt! I'm no expert at sewing, but straight lines aren't too hard :) I'm with Amor on getting together to help!

Muir Family said...

I love quilting. I've made quite a few in my days. Let me know if you'd like some help, I'd be happy to help. In my family, when someone gets married we do a quilt for them. Everything is cut out before the party begins. All the aunts, cousins, sisters, etc. all bring their machines and we get it all done. For those that don't sew,there is always ironing to do. We get it all sewn together in one night. I'd be in on sewing one night...if you're interested.