Saturday, September 13, 2008

9/11

I'm a few days late, but I've been reading a few blogs that talk about what they were doing or what they remember about 9/11. I thought I'd share mine.

I was in my senior year of high school. We had just rotated to AP Art History class. An announcement came over the loudspeakers that the first tower had been hit, and we were instructed to turn on the TV's in the classroom. I remember we all just sat there silently, and in shock.

As we watched a reporter speak in front of the Pentagon, a girl sitting next to me said, "Wouldn't it be crazy if they tried to hit the Pentagon." We agreed, and then a crazy thing happened. A plane hit the Pentagon. That moment felt so surreal. As we sat there at 9:15 and on, we watched the towers fall.

I don't remember any classes after that. I remember switching, being in the hallway, and seeing my friend. She was crying, because her dad was a contractor on a job up in Washington, D.C. No one knew the extent of the damage to the Pentagon yet. Other kids were worried about family members in that area. What if they were dead? What if they couldn't reach them? I mean, WE were worried. We lived in this tiny town, but we were also located close to an Air Force Base, and if something big happened in D.C. (especially nuclear), two hours wouldn't seem that far away anymore.

We got out of school early that day, around 1. I, like most other kids, went home to sit and watch TV with my family.

Even today it still makes me emotional. Todd and I were watching the coverage this year as we got ready for school, and I felt myself tearing up. Even Todd admitted to getting emotional. It's cliche, but 9/11 definitely stands as one of those moments I will never forget. Where were you guys?

No comments: