Now, my doctor SAYS its not genetic...but secretly I blame my poor eyesight on my parents, so I figure I can just go ahead and blame my poor digestive system on them as well.
As yucky as it is to admit it, I just checked out a book on digestive disorders, and while I don't have anything super bad like esophagal cancer, GERD, or a stomach ulcer (endoscopies, no THANK YOU), I do have enough of that "other stuff" that's embarassing to talk about face to face with people. I decided to see the doctor and figure out how to beat this yucky stuff, and the truth is, there are a few common sense things that will supposedly make my heartburn and lactose intolerance and "other stuff" disappear.
I am going on a diet. It's called "attempting-to-follow-the-food-pyramid-and-eat-right-and-stop-eating-the-things-that-make-me-ill-like-chocolate-and-ice-cream-and-pizza." I'm doing okay with the chocolate, I've cut down from one or two candy bars a day to a few M&M's and a few Starbursts for replacement (nice, healthy replacements). So far, I'm way low on my grains and fruits, but doing okay on veggies and meats. However, I have a leftover cherry pie staring at me every time I open the fridge, but I keep thinking of the 350 calories (totally not kidding) in every 1/8 of the pie, and I'm able to shut the fridge. Maybe tomorrow, if I leave out the Starbursts, I can maybe sneak a piece of pie in. Man, I am getting that Word of Wisdom lesson in full force this week. So maybe God really does know what He's talking about, right? I figure He's teaching me a great, healthy lesson this way.
I'm also reconciling myself to the fact that my stomach will never be like Todd's--a garbage disposal full of the lactase enzyme that my system lacks. He isn't really symphathetic, he'll buy his ice cream gallon, pour a big old glop of it onto his plate, say "sorry," and scarf the thing down. Boys. I treated myself to a couple tablespoons of sour cream today, and things seem to be going well...we'll wait a couple of hours and see if they are still alright! However, the Prilosec has been taken, I've eaten better today, so it should go down better, right?
I know that I knew this all along, but Doc tells me I need to exercise every day. Apparently, people with digestive disorders can see an absence of their symptoms simply by eating right and doing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise everyday. I'm shooting for walking five days a week, and we'll go from there. I've got to start out small, or I can't do it (I also can't quit chocolate cold turkey). So far, the weather has been decent enough (ONLY decent, it's actually quite chilly here in mild Boise) to get my walks in outside.
Be glad you are not me, my friends, be glad. However, I do plan on splurging this weekend over potstickers and chocolate cupcakes, but that's it!! Promise (see how long it takes me to break THAT promise!) Now I'm off to WinCo to hit the veggie and fruit section, avoid anything with sorbitol, and search out my stone ground whole wheat bread...sounds like fun!
4 comments:
I can show you how to make some very yummy whole wheat bread while your here...it's actually super easy and tons cheaper than buying the "healthy" stuff at the store (which usually tastes like cardboard). I make it every week and feel much better about myself.
That sounds awesome! As long as it doesn't require a bread machine. I would totally love the recipe.
I've been there, plus surgery and more. Digestive systems can be beasts! Prilosec does wonders. How's it going now?
It's going slightly better. I was put on major antibiotics for h. pylori for two weeks (I'm about finished now). I will probably have to do Prilosec for the rest of my life (ugh), but at least its not reflux disease, and they caught the h. pylori before it became a stomach ulcer. Surgery, huh? That stinks. I just have to avoid foods that make me ill like fruit (yes, fruit), sorbitol (in gum and toothpaste), and chocolate and ice cream (sad sad sad). Such is life.
Post a Comment