Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Monogamy

I just have to say quickly that I am very grateful that I grew up in the Church and that I have been taught what a marriage truly is. It is a blessing in my life, and when I look around and see other people that are living their definition of marriage, and not God's meaning, I feel sad for them, and for their children as well. I know our marriage won't be perfect, but I can't help but think that we have a huge advantage as members of the Church.

Last night I was watching TLC, and this show came on called "My Husband's Three Wives." I was curious, especially to see if they were FLDS or RLDS. Nope, this is a guy living in Waller, Texas who "doesn't believe in monogamy." Are you kidding me? My first thought was "What a slimy chauvinistic pig." And the sad thing is, he is a psychologist, and it is his personal belief that monogamy is the greatest cause of divorce. What?? He is legally married to one wife, spiritually married to his first and second wife (whatever that means), and is considering adding a third wife to his family. Not that this whole thing wasn't bizarre, but the thing that really struck my heart were the interviews with his children. One child didn't know which woman was actually his birth mother, and she was living in the house, and he'd grown up with her! Two of the children admitted that they would never have more than one wife/husband, because they saw all of the contention it caused in their own family. I just don't understand it. I don't understand how people's views can become so skewed. There was this shot of him visiting the dad's mother in a nursing home, and she said that she had done a lot of things wrong, but she could never condone her son's decisions. I don't know, I just don't know what planet this guy is coming from. And you could see the tension building in the house (living with three grown women would do that). I'm still in shock. I guess it's just so far from what I've been taught, it just doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, one of the first lines in the show was the first wife saying, "A lot of people ask if we're Mormon, but we're not, we just practice plural marriage." Which leads me to still be incredulous that so many people are still so uninformed that they think LDS members practice polygamy. I guess I just wish that people would do their research instead of jumping to conclusions. Polygamy hasn't been practiced in our church for over 100 years! Ugh, I get so sick of people's misconceptions due to the fact that they don't take the time to find out the facts. Take for example that September Dawn movie, which is such a piece of propaganda it also makes me sick...the "first act of religious terrorism in the United States" is what the trailer said. Really?? What about what the Missourians did to the LDS members in New York, Missouri, Illinois in the 1830's, 1840's, 1850's? Not to mention religious persecution to other sects beside the Mormons. Whatever. Can you tell this kind of stuff makes me angry?

Anyway, I'll stop my venting. Has anyone else seen this show and had opinions about it?

No comments: