Sunday, December 14, 2008

Runners, Until the Race is Won

I like music. In fact, I REALLY like music. I don't think that I communicate on my blog the fact that I listen to music all the time. I love finding a new band that I really like. I love when a band I already like comes out with a new album. I love finding songs that connect with me. Sometimes I like certain songs for their words, some for just their music, and some for both. It just depends on what it is.

Todd believes that I am partially deaf because I like my music loud. I really starting liking music in high school. My first "favorite" was Good Charlotte. We really rocked out to them, as well as New Found Glory and Jimmy Eat World. My first concert was Blink 182 and Green Day. We drove to Hershey, PA the day before graduation, and got back at 3 in the morning. Needless to say, I nearly slept through the awards ceremony. I almost missed them NOT announcing me valedictorian (a story for another time, haha).

My music tastes haven't changed a whole lot since then. I like rock. However, I like a certain kind of rock. I don't know what you would call it, people have all sorts of names for music these days. I just know what I like. I have a few all-time favorite songs. A lot of these we used at our wedding. I didn't want traditional wedding music, although I had some. We danced our first dance to "Divide Me" by Kalai, who was a Jack Johnson-esque singer popular in Provo at the time. We also included Jimmy Eat World's "For Me This is Heaven," "I Don't Wanna Know" by New Found Glory, "Half-Life" from the What a Girl Wants soundtrack, "Run" by Snow Patrol, "Elva" by Unwritten Law. There were others but I can't remember them now!

I try to avoid buying songs on Itunes because once I start I really can't stop! However, for history's sake, these are some songs that I REALLY like right now, enough to download them. If you would like a listen, I will burn some of them for you! The last CD I burned had these songs on them:

1. Come On, Get Higher--by Matt Nathanson. This is a great slow-dancing-in-the-kitchen-with-your-husband song. Do it. It's fun!
2. You Found Me--by the Fray. LOVE THE FRAY. The Fray always takes me back to those early mornings driving to work in rush hour traffic from Sacramento to Davis (best farmer's market ever!)
3. Valley Winter Song--by Fountains of Wayne. It's in the L.L. Bean commercial. It's a great winter song, sort of folksy and cozy.
4. You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie--by the Submarines. I have had a thing with commercial music lately! This is from one of the Apple commercials. It's fun, its different.
5. Buildings and Mountains--by the Republic Tigers. This one had to grow on me. Now I love it!
6. Lovers in Japan--by Coldplay. I have loved this song since the second the album came out. Oh my. I listen to this every day!

I just got Guster's latest CD from the library, and I am REALLY digging two of their songs. I need to listen to Death Cab for Cutie's latest CD too, because I think they are great, but they don't have any songs on that CD that stood out to me (like Guster's "Dear Valentine"....awesome!) I also have Snow Patrol's newest CD on hold (I would die to go to one of their concerts).

Anyway, that is what I am listening to right now (besides Christmas songs!) I'm sure there will be many more posts about music to come!

No comments: