Wichita is growing on me. I didn't want to be one of "those" people who hate the new place they're in because all they can do is compare it to the places they've lived before. So, it was hard, but I think I've given Wichita enough time to get used to me and vice versa, and I'm liking it. We've gotten to do some really fun stuff that we didn't have the opportunities to do in Manhattan, like
go to the Kansas State Fair and watch people jumping into water from really high heights (fun to watch, I would NEVER do something like that)
(side note: Todd decided it would be a good idea to ask a bunch of convicts cleaning up trash if they could take our picture. Apparently, they are not allowed to do that. So their supervisor/parole officer took this instead. I was dying laughing inside. And a little freaked out. Of ALL people to ask? Todd's reply: It just seemed like they would've liked something else to do for a few minutes!)
Guy about to jump. It was entertaining.
We went to the salt mines and learned about all of the things underground. It was a hot day, so nice to be underground. We also saw the missionaries and some people from our ward, so we weren't the only Wichitans touring Kansas. This is in Hutchinson, about an hour away from where we live now.
We felt pretty awesome in our hard hats, next to a giant slab of salt.
Riding the train around the mine. It's still a working mine that supplies salt to neighboring states.
The miners just left their trash down there. All of this trash is from the 60's or so. It was very interesting to look at their trash. Also, is it really that much more expensive to haul the trash to an actual dumpster?
We also hit the drive-in theater to see Maze Runner. We brought some caramel popcorn (Paula Deen's recipe, TO DIE FOR!!!) and some hot chocolate from QT (I LOVE having QT's around), and some other treats.
We ended up moving into the car because it got really cold and some random guy was smoking, but that was fun too.
I love fall...and tractor rides...and corn mazes. So we headed out about 20 minutes southwest to Bergmann's corn maze. It was just a regular corn maze, but you can bring flashlights and answer trivia questions along the way. It was a lot of fun and the weather was PERFECT!
We've also done some other things that we haven't recorded through photos. Todd and I went to a lecture a few weeks ago at the Hyatt downtown. It was very fancy, people were offering us wine and there was a lot of cheering and applauding and political things being said. It was a fun experience :)
I also headed up to Manhattan in September to do the Color Run with my teacher friends, and then a few of them met me in Hesston, KS so we could go to the (totally crazy busy) Kansas Barn Sale. It's been nice to still be close enough to see my friends from Manhattan!
No comments:
Post a Comment