My class has the reputation of being the "ADHD" room (among other things). This example fits perfectly:
Me: (saying a spelling word for the test)
Kid: Mrs. Thomason, I love you. I'm really sweaty. I get sweaty when I play the Wii at my house.
Me: Oh, um, thanks, okay, it is warm in here!
And later, to the question "What do we need to do before we go to the bathroom?" a student said, "This weekend is my MOM's birthday!" Ay yi yi!
In another instance, one of my students had turned on the CD player, but had hit the radio button instead. He took off his headphones, and said, "Mrs. T, there is a man saying a METEOR hit the EARTH?? Is this a story?" "Nope, that's real." "Oh....what am I listening to?" "It's the radio" "Ohhhhh." A few moments later, "Now, they're talking about sweet 16!" "Alright, buddy, time to turn off the radio!"
And even though I am not yet a mother, I think a teacher comes a close second in having to deal with bodily fluids. In fact, I think I could even argue that it's grosser when it doesn't belong to your someone in your family (although it's still gross). Case in point, today I had to explain why we should walk WAY AROUND those yellow "Wet floor" signs (a 2nd grader had vomited clear down the hallway). Also, one of my students, who is a frequent bathroom-goer came up to me today and said, "Mrs. T, I need to go to the bathroom, but not to pee this time. I have to poop." To which I replied, "Thanks for sharing, GO!"
And yet another student needed to speak to me privately yesterday and sadly whispered, "L**** is picking his nose in PE and eating it. It's so gross." Yes, yes, it is! A kindergarten teacher shared that one of your students had stuck her UGG-like boots into the toilet (which was not completely flushed) and then had come running out saying, "I stepped in a puddle!" Ewww.
Ah, kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment