Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Power of Prayer

I sat down to blog tonight about my thoughts on conference, but I got sidetracked. I wondered if the Kansas City Temple page was still up that they used to post announcements for the cultural celebration. It is, and I ended up spending some time reading the Little Miracles PDF that had been put together for President Monson to take back with him to SLC after the celebration. I was even pleased to see that one of the youth from my new stake, a girl I work with in YW, had contributed a "small miracle" to the booklet :) I have been so blessed to get to work with the young women in Topeka and Manhattan.

What led to this diversion? This morning, President Monson recounted the story of the failing Jumbotron that occurred prior to the temple celebration.

I was so blessed to be there, in that moment he spoke of. As I finished herding kids from the 2nd floor down to the huge green room, I stayed up on the balcony, and I was able to look down and see 3,100 youth kneeling down in prayer--to pray over a piece of machinery that was putting a huge snafu in the plans to rehearse on the stage.

The room was silent, for the first time in hours. That room had been a constant scene of movement and youthful noise. I had been running around, just trying to be useful, and right then, everyone had stopped. I couldn't help but open my eyes and take a peek in the middle of the prayer. I don't think I have ever been in a room with 3,000 people kneeling on the ground to pray. It was a powerful--and fleeting--moment. As soon as the prayer was over, the directors quickly moved on to check on progress. An hour later, we were back in business. I didn't hear until later, that the fix for the Jumbotron was described as "dumb luck" by the technicians.

We all knew better :)

2 comments:

Lindzie said...

What a cool experience. :) Thanks for sharing!

Christine said...

I thought of you during his talk and wondered what your experience had been like during the celebrations. Thanks for sharing. :)