Uh, let's see. We went to Omaha, and to the temple and did two sessions. We have never done that because its a 7 hour round trip and we're lucky to get in one session. However, thanks to Groupon, we had a hotel stay in Omaha, and got to take life a little slower :) The pictures are on facebook, but here's one for the blog to break up my blah blah blahing!
We really enjoyed the zoo and the Imax movie we watched. My favorite part of the zoo was definitely the gorillas, maybe because they are the most human-like :)
We also caught up with a friend of Todds back from our pest control days in Columbus. No regrets about not doing it this summer (except for the money...we'll always miss the money!) However, I am making the big bucks at summer school, so it's all good right? (And can I just say, that teachers do NOT get summers off...many choose to teach summer school, or teach classes, or TAKE classes, or end up moving their classrooms, etc etc...no teacher takes the entire summer off!)
Anyway, we returned from Omaha and I started summer school. I.LOVE.IT. I have 6 cutie students who are smart cookies and do whatever I ask...a girl can get TOTALLY used to that! Actually, it's weird, because we get things done a million times faster...I have to think of things to challenge them, which is a stretch because they are fourth graders, and already know more things than I'm used to my third graders knowing! Anyway, it's been great. I have Fridays off and I get off at 2.
So what else fills my days? Well, let's see, I've been sewing, reading up a storm, finally getting back to the gym, watching movies, spending time getting my classroom ready for next year, etc etc. Todd has been studying his Portuguese and finally getting in some "fun" reading (no, law books do NOT count as fun reading!)
We are also slowly preparing for Brazil. It's coming up fast, and with doing summer school, it feels like it will be here in no time. I am getting more nervous as it approaches. I feel slightly better because we've done Central America, but I'll be back in a country with an unfamiliar language and I'm running out of time to prepare...I know NO Portuguese. My intentions have been to study it some, but the days fill up quickly!
Our passports and visas are are back and ready to go, plane tickets have been bought, and the packing list and pile has been started. We both realize that the first two weeks in a new country are always awkward and uncomfortable (as it is whenever you move someplace new). You would think moving 6 times would lessen this feeling, but it happens every time! However, we know that after the initial few weeks, it'll feel more natural to be in Brazil, and the nice thing will be that for the most part, we'll be staying in the same city.
So there's the Thomason update. It's exciting to be embarking on another new adventure...I think the adventures will probably continue through the next six months as Todd prepares to graduate and we ponder heavily over where life will take us next :)
3 comments:
When you have free time, teach your kids SCIENCE! Get them interested EARLY ON that SCIENCE IS AWESOME! I have an entire book that I wrote of fun science tricks you can use in the classroom, I'll send you the PDF version if you want :-) It's geared towards upper elementary, lower middle school ages.
I had it when people say that teachers have soooo much time off during the summer! It does feel that it is filled with planning, or classes, or even more teaching!
I am so jealous about your trip coming up! I hope you have a blast. I keep trying to convince Tate to let us go teach internationally for a little while (I hear they love couple teachers).
I had it when people say that teachers have soooo much time off during the summer! It does feel that it is filled with planning, or classes, or even more teaching!
I am so jealous about your trip coming up! I hope you have a blast. I keep trying to convince Tate to let us go teach internationally for a little while (I hear they love couple teachers).
Post a Comment