Well, we've finally settled into life here in Ohio. Nothing too exciting has happened here, just another pest control summer full of its ups and downs (its beginning to be mostly downs, but it is fun to move and meet new people. We're thankful its almost over!).
I did, however, start working a few hours a week for the after-care program that sponsors the summer camp I will be working at in June. At first it was such a culture shock! I came from Christine Donnell, which is middle to upper class, 100% white and found myself walking onto school grounds filled with black faces. I am almost embarassed to admit my first thought was, "Uh-oh, WHAT have I gotten myself into?" Well, now I feel like a jerk,and even ashamed, for even thinking that because I totally love it! After C.D., I was worried that if I did eventually end up teaching in a more diverse, urban school that I would be completely unprepared for the needs of those students. However, after just a few hours with these cute kids, I know that wherever I end up teaching, I'll be okay. Regardless of what a student may look like, or what circumstances they come from, they all have that same innocence, the same energy, that same spirit that causes you to laugh at their reactions, care about their experiences, and just generally love them! While this after-care program isn't as efficient as the one in Boise (and the kids are SO MUCH LOUDER!) it's been fun to hang, and I think that my fuse bead skills are going to be completely perfected by the end of the next few weeks.
Columbus is big! I have been so sheltered in Idaho. When I first started to try and navigate my way around Columbus, getting on the 270 was so scary for me, ya know, with all those cars flying by and stuff! This girl who drove around Sacramento, CA every day for four months and who has driven in the D.C. and Philly areas (which was rightly terrifying, not a big fan). However, I think I have overcome my trepidation with the busy roads. Additionally, we recently bought a nifty little GPS system (which we have both been coveting for some time now) and "Mrs. GPS" (with the strange computer accent) has done a great job at getting me from point A to point B safely. GPS is one of those things, like cell phones, where we are going to wonder someday how we ever got along without it.
Todd has recently discovered a new favorite place called Culver's. He had stopped there when we drove out to Ohio the first time with our technician, and he told me all about it. So of course, on our way through Iowa, in Des Moines, we had to make a special stop so Todd could get his delicious frozen custard. I tried a bite, but since I try not to make eating ice cream a habit, I couldn't really tell if it was "the best" or not...I mean, it was good though! So anyway, we got pretty excited driving around today when we discovered a Culver's right here in Columbus! Todd immediately said, "I am going to get fat this summer!" Anyway, that was exciting for him (it doesn't take much to make this man happy!)
Speaking of getting fat, I have definitely not kept up on the eating habits that I had in place before we left Boise. With all of the traveling, a lot of it went down the toilet, and I haven't been as steadfast because I don't have a routine established here yet. I have been trying to run three days a week, but its been more like two days a week, which is so bad! I also polished off some Ben and Jerry's in two sittings, so I haven't been doing so great with the lactose thing as well (why does dairy have to taste SO good?). However, I have been feeling alright, but I know I need to do better. Todd and I have decided that we MUST start figuring out a routine soon, and I will be forced to when I start working full time. At this point, we end up going to bed around midnight, and dragging ourselves sadly out of bed around 9...it is so hard! I think there is something about pest control that just drains everyone within 10 feet of it!
I am getting super excited to have a nephew (and a niece in a few months too!) I had a dream that Jess had her baby a few nights ago, and so every day I've been waking up wondering "Is today the day?" Being an aunt is great because you get to have the excitement of a new baby without the crying, diapers, throwing up, etc. Also exciting is the fact that my parents have sold their house! But I will do an entire post on that some other time (there's mixed feelings involved with that one!)
Anyway, that's the update. Sorry for no pictures, we forgot to take the camera on our anniversary, but it involved Cheesecake Factory and we know we will be back there a few times this summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment